Investment in Mutual Funds
One of the Best Ways to Invest Money
An investment in mutual funds is a one of the best ways to invest money, especially if you don’t have the time or interest to keep up-to-date on specific companies and investments. A mutual fund can be a safe investing alternative because it combines the money from several individuals and invests that money in stocks, bonds, or other types of assets. The investors own shares in the mutual fund and the value of the fund increases or decreases depending on the value of the underlying assets.
There are thousands of mutual funds available from which to choose. Here is a sampling of some of the types of stock funds available:
- Growth Funds invest in companies that have good potential to increase in value but pay out little or nothing in dividends.
- Income Funds concentrate on companies that pay steady dividends.
- Sector Funds focus on companies in specific industries.
- Index Funds attempt to mirror returns of specific market indexes, such as the S&P 500 or Nasdaq.
- International Funds invest in companies located in other countries.
Some of the bond funds include:
- Corporate Bond Funds invest in bonds issued by corporations.
- High Yield (Junk Bond) Funds focus on companies that have a higher risk of default on payments, but also a higher interest rate.
- Government or Treasury Bond Funds invest in bonds issued by the U.S. Government.
- Municipal Bond Funds concentrate on bonds issued by cities and states.
There are many other types of mutual funds as well. Some invest in commodities or real estate. Some specialize according to the size of the company. Others, known as balanced funds, invest in a mixture of stocks, bonds, and cash.
Safe Investing in Mutual Funds
Mutual funds, like all investments, have expenses. Before investing in mutual funds, read each fund's prospectus to make sure you understand all the fees that the mutual fund will charge.
In addition, it is important to understand that there are various risks associated with investing in mutual funds. Be sure you are aware of what risk versus return you can expect from each investment.
There are many mutual funds available for investment. To help you decide which mutual fund(s) to buy, look at websites that specialize in rating mutual funds for guidance.
There are many good reasons to consider an investment in mutual funds. First of all, mutual funds are run by professionals who manage investments as their full time job. Secondly, it can be easier to achieve portfolio diversification with mutual funds. Finally, you can start investing in some mutual funds with a relatively small amount of money.
Return from Investment in Mutual Funds to How to Invest Money
Return to Financial Freedom Advantage (Home Page)